Famed for its iron-rich waters since Roman times, Spa attracted some very important people in the 18th century, including Peter the Great of Russia. Following a period of decline, a major programme to re-launch the spa began, with support from Leopold II, king of the Belgians. As part of this programme, a covered gallery 130 metres long was inaugurated in 1878. There is a pavilion at each end, the oval Pavillon des Petits Jeux and the square pavilion dedicated to the wife of Leopold II, queen Marie-Henriette. The gallery has three projecting parts, and its subdivided wooden roof is supported by cast-iron columns embellished with decorative cast iron work.
Building listed by Ministerial Decree of the French Community (20-04-1982)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
Copyright: All rights reserved