L’immeuble dit « Au blanc Levrier »

Heritage

BE |

Public | DutchFrenchGerman

Source: Wizpr.guide

Copyright: All rights reserved

 
The building called Au Blanc Levrie or Levrier on account of the sign twice depicting a greyhound, is distinctive for its façade built from bluestone in the first half of the 16th century, at a time when the use of stone was reserved for military, civilian or religious buildings and for the houses of a few wealthy families. built by a family of merchants in luxury goods, the house still has a Gothic structure and décor featuring a number of 16th-century elements: globe, collar of the Golden Fleece, etc. However, the façade has not retained all of its original character. The roof and frame appear to date from the 18th century and no doubt replaced a gable facing the road. The conversion of the building into a commercial space in the 19th century brought with it other major modifications affecting the ground floor in the main. Nevertheless, a refurbishment programme conducted in the second half of the 20th century enabled the architectural details still preserved to be analysed so that the missing parts could be restored. This work was fairly straightforward for the upper levels, but was more difficult for the ground floor which had already been modified significantly. It was decided to integrate any missing parts based on a plan simplified with regard to the original elements in order to preserve a harmonious whole, while still highlighting the elements brought in, some of them contemporary. These works, begun in 1981, have won awards for their overall approach to the building.
Listed: 29-05-1952
Exceptional heritage site of Wallonia 
 

Copyright: All rights reserved

More information

Address

Belgium

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com