The Saint Theresa Chapel in Westende-Bad dates back to 1930. Plans by architect Victor Rubbers were used to build this chapel as a replacement for an older but further located chapel. The current chapel is part of an attractive touristic coastal village with a protected townscape, including villas from the Belle Epoque period, hotel Rotonde …. The chapel was actually built at the request of villa owners and hotel guests.
The building was heavily battered during World War II. It wasn’t restored until 1954. It was also enlarged during this restoration.
The chapel is constructed out of yellow brick with a bluestone finish. The portal has a three-aisled atrium with arches that are supported by stone columns. There are lion heads on the capital of the columns. The chapel has a rose window on the east side.
The interior of the chapel is completely painted white, including the barrel vault ceilings. The modern stained glass windows date back to the sixties and represent Saint Henrietta, Saint Martha and Saint Mathilde, all by the hand of Cor Westerduin.
Copyright: All rights reserved