Noker Monastery - Mechelen

Source: jazzathome

In 1614 the Alexians settled in the old Holy Trinity Almshouse.

They cared for the sick and the insane. At the beginning of the 18th century they built a new monastery with a chapel and courtyard: the Cellebroeder monastery.

In 1755 the brothers were forced to cede part of their land for the construction of what is now the Dossin barracks . In 1798 there were difficulties with the French occupiers; The monastery was sold and bought back by the monks in 1801. However, much of the Church furnishings were gone . From 1908 it became a Franciscan convent.

Between 1997-2005 Emmaüs vzw had the complex restored. The west wing of the monastery is currently used as a youth and community center.

The current four wings of the cloister are grouped around a rectangular courtyard with the chapel and sacristy to the south-east.


Source: Willem Vandenameele

Comments Statistics

BE | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby