The Fort de Cindey is a component of Fortress Saint-Maurice, which is in turn one of the three principal fortified regions of the National Redoubt of Switzerland. The Fort de Cindey was built in two steps: the first, between 1941 and 1946 and the second step, between 1948 and 1954 . It was taken out of service in 1995. This fort was built in the Scex cliff face immediately to the west of Saint-Maurice to complement the existing Fort du Scex, built earlier in the same cliff. With the Fort du Scex, it comprises a fortress complex encased in rock high above the strategic Saint-Maurice valley. The fort was deactivated in 1995. It is now open for public tours during the summer months.
The Fort de Cindey is located in the western cliffs of the Saint-Maurice valley where the defile narrows dramatically. The location was previously fortified in the 19th century. The Château Saint-Maurice remains extant, while extensive fortifications on either side of the Rhône, constructed between 1831 and 1860 by General Guillaume Henri Dufour have disappeared.
Copyright: CC 3.0