Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Hamburg, Hamburg
Number of texts: 3
The Neuengamme concentration camp, a German concentration camp, was established in 1938 by the SS near the village of Neuengamme in the Bergedorf district of Hamburg, Germany. It was operated by the Nazis from 1938 to 1945. By the end of the war, more than half of its estimated 106,000 prisoners perished there. After Germany’s defeat, the British Army used it until 1948 as an internment centre. In 1948 the facility was transferred to Hamburg prison authority which torn down the barracks and built a new prison cell block. After being operated as two prisons by the Hamburg authorities from 1950 to 2004, and a period of uncertainty, the site now serves as a memorial. It is situated 15 km southeast of the centre of Hamburg in the Bergedorf area.
Half of the 106,000 prisoners of the Neuengamme concentration camp died by the end of Wolrd War II.
The Neuengamme concentration camp was a Nazi concentration camp. By the end of the war, more than half of its estimated 106,000 prisoners had died.