Rischmannshof was opened in 1912 as one of the first open-air museums in Germany. The museum consists of a rural farmyard with outbuildings and other exhibits. The heart of the site is a thatched, timber-framed hall house built as a two-post farmhouse dating to 1798. This originally stood in Hartem near Fallingbostel and was reconstructed in Walsrode. In addition the site has the house of a hireling originally from Fulde and about the same age, as well as a type of apiary, known locally as a Bienenzaun. A Treppenspeicher storage barn from Oberndorfmark dates back to 1669. Not until some time later was the site enhanced with a bakehouse from the year 1752 and a timber-framed barn with a workshop from 1842.
There is a branch of the museum in the old village school in Klein Eilstorf which itself dates back to 1900.
Copyright: CC 3.0