Düsseldorf-Bilk Observatory

Village

DE |

Public | GermanSpanish

Source: Jcwww

Copyright: CC 3.0

The Sternwarte Düsseldorf (a.k.a. Sternwarte Bilk, Sternwarte Charlottenruhe; Bilk Observatory or Düsseldorf-Bilk Observatory in English) in Düsseldorf-Bilk was founded in 1843 by Johann Friedrich Benzenberg for private purposes. The observatory's main feature was a refracting telescope with 1800mm focal length. After Benzenberg's death the observatory was bequeathed to the city of Düsseldorf. It was destroyed by bombing in 1943. Between 1852–1890, C. Robert Luther discovered 24 asteroids there, from Thetis, discovered on April 17, 1852 to Glauke, discovered February 20, 1890. These asteroids and planetoids are called the 24 Düsseldorf planets.
The asteroid 4425 Bilk is named in honour of the observatory. Near its original location, a benchmark was erected, displaying the observatory's burnt-out telescope.

Source: Wikipedia.org

Copyright: CC 3.0

More information

Address

Düsseldorf
Germany

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com