The Café Zimmermann, or Zimmermannsche Kaffeehaus was the coffeehouse of Gottfried Zimmermann in Leipzig which from 1720 hosted the Collegium Musicum founded by Georg Philipp Telemann as a law student in 1702 and later directed by Johann Sebastian Bach between 1729 and 1739 which formed the backdrop to the first performances of many of Bach's secular cantatas and instrumental works. In 1723 it was largest and best-appointed Kaffeehaus of Leipzig and a centre for the middle classes and gentlemen. The location was south of the Brühl, north of the Marktplatz in the Katharinenstraße, then the most elegant street of Leipzig. The name of the street had been taken from the old St. Catherine's Chapel which had been demolished in 1544. In Telemann's and Bach's day only the name of the street remained.
Copyright: CC 3.0