The Temple of Friendship is a small, round temple in the western part of Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. It was built by the Prussian king Frederick II in memory of his favorite sister, Markgravine Wilhelmine of Bayreuth, who died in 1758. The temple was built south of the park's main boulevard between 1768 and 1770 by architect Carl von Gontard, complementing the Temple of Antiquities, which lies due north of the boulevard on an axis with the Temple of Friendship.
A notable precursor of the Temple of Friendship was the even smaller Temple of Apollo in the Amalthea Garden. The first work of architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, the Temple of Apollo was built in 1735 in the flower and vegetable garden created by Crown Prince Frederick in the town Neuruppin in Brandenburg, where he resided from 1732 to 1735 as the commander of a regiment stationed there.
Copyright: CC 3.0