Stalag VI-B was a German World War II prisoner-of-war camp , located about 3 km east of the village of Versen in the Emsland district of Lower Saxony, in north-western Germany, close to the border with the Netherlands.
The camp was established in 1938 as Lager IX Versen, one of the Emslandlager group of labour camps. It was designed to hold up to 1,500 political prisoners, who worked under the direction of the Reichsarbeitsdienst in the local peat bogs. After the outbreak of World War II in September 1939 the camp was taken over by Military District VI, and designated Stalag VI-B, with sub-camps — designated Stalag VI-B/Z — a few kilometres away at Oberlangen, Wesuwe and Fullen. On 13 May 1942 Stalag VI-B and its sub-camps all came under the administrative control of Stalag VI-C at Bathorn, and were renamed Stalag VI-C/Z.
Copyright: CC 3.0