The Basilica of St. Cunibert also St. Kunibert pronunciation: [ˌtsɪnt ˈkʊnɪˌbɛːtʰ]) is the last of Cologne's twelve Romanesque churches to be built. It was consecrated 1247, one year before work on the Gothic Cologne Cathedral began. It was declared a minor Basilica in 1998 by the then Pope John Paul II.
A small church located at a burial ground north of the Roman city was founded or renewed by Cunibert, ninth Bishop of Cologne. Cunibert was also buried there. After 690 the Two Ewalds were buried in the church as well.
Copyright: CC 3.0