The Waggonbau Görlitz Corporation has built locomotives and rolling stock since 1849. They are best known for the double-deck rail cars that have been in production since 1935 in Görlitz, Germany. The Görlitz plants have been sold to Bombardier Transportation in 1998 making them available under the Bombardier Double-deck Coach brand .
The origins go back to the saddle-maker Johann Christoph Lüders to open his workshop on June 5, 1828, in Görlitz at the Obermarkt . A year later in April 1829 he moved to the Langengasse starting to build coaches. The works grew so that he moved to Demianiplatz . The same year, a public tender from Görlitz that asked for two rail cars to be built for the forest works in the Görlitzer Heide was won by Johann Christoph Lüders and Conrad Schiedt on October 19, 1849. Conrad Schiedt owned a metal works shop in the Büttnergasse producing the iron parts required for the otherwise wooden rail coaches. Lüders moved the rolling stock manufactory to the Brunnenstrasse the same year.
Copyright: CC 3.0