Kaufbeuren Air Base is a German Air Force military airbase. It is currently the home of the Luftwaffe Technical School 1.
Originally built in 1935 as a Luftwaffe station, the aerodrome was seized by the United States Army in May 1945 at the end of World War II. The 289th Combat Engineers were ordered in to occupy the site when it was discovered to be the final location of Nazi Party's top secret FA signals intelligence and cryptanalytic agency. After all intelligence aspects were secured it became an occupation facility by the 225th Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Battalion, the USAAF 55th Fighter Group based P-51 Mustangs at the airfield from 22 July 1945 - 28 April 1946.
Copyright: CC 3.0