Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Coburg
Number of texts: 1
St. Augustine’s Church is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bamberg located in the Bavarian town of Coburg, Germany. It was built between 1856 and 1860. Originally designed in the Gothic Revival style, the church was remodelled in 1960 due to a liturgical reform. There is a crypt under the church that contains the remains of fifteen members of the Koháry branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, a Roman Catholic branch of the originally Protestant ducal house.
After the Reformation, Catholic worship was curtailed in Coburg and the last service was held in 1582, at the Nikolaikapelle. It took almost three hundred years for a new Catholic parish to be reestablished in the town.