The Casimirianum, known to the students as the "Casi", is a Gymnasium in Coburg, Bavaria. It was founded in 1605 by Johann Casimir, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg , and named after him. Today the Casimirianum is a linguistic and humanistic high school with the curriculum in the Latin language from 5th Grade, English from 6th Grade, and Greek, French or Spanish as the third compulsory foreign language. With the school year of 2009–10, the program was expanded with a scientific-technological branch with Latin as a second language. The Casimirianum was once involved with a German pilot program, "The European Gymnasium" and was one of 44 Model Schools of "MODUS21", but both programs were closed by 2009.
The Casimirianum is a Renaissance building designed and built by Peter Sengelaub. On 2 September 1601, the foundation stone was laid by Duke Johann Casimir and he returned on 3 July 1605 the inauguration. According to the foundation charter, the Duke intended this state school to be ein medium oder Mittel between a Trivialschule and a high school or academy. The lectures were to be public et gratis . A Convictorium was established "with two tables, of twenty-four boys, one table free, and the other, for a weekly fee of 7 groschen by any person" The Duke understood "how sometimes . . . poor people's children, who are naturally good and capable of intelligence, and the same to seek and learn, are also eager to be educated, are often times overlooked, ignored and neglected; that we would not like to hear or be heard in the least..."
Copyright: CC 3.0