It was built in 1180 under the Hohenstaufen rule to protect the city from attack and surround the present Altstadt. When the city was expanded in 1333, the old wall became a victim of efforts to reorganize the city defenses.
Today one can still see a small portion along the Fahrgasse, a part that was restored after the 18th century fire in the Jewish Ghetto.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Frankfurt am Main