Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Celle
Number of texts: 1
Oldendorf is a village in the municipality of Südheide in the northern part of Celle district in Lower Saxony, Germany. It lies on the western edge of the Southern Heath Nature Park, on the Lüneburg Heath, about 2 km south of the main village of Hermannsburg and currently has about 640 inhabitants. In 1973 Oldendorf was incorporated into Hermannsburg as part of the Lower Saxony regional and administrative reforms.
From the knapped flints that have been unearthed here, it can be concluded that the area around Oldendorf was settled as early as the Stone Age . Oldendorf was first mentioned in the records in a document dating to AD 968 by the Saxon duke, Hermann Billung. At that time, a protective castle was built in Oldendorf, which was razed by the Wends in 959 and finally demolished in 1345.