Engelbrechtsmünster is a village in Bavaria, Germany, now part of the municipality of Geisenfeld. It lies near the Ilm river.
There was a monastery in the village, thought to have been founded by pupils of the Irish missionary Columbanus at the start of the 6th century. Saint Emmeram of Regensburg probably visited the small monastery around 650. The monks would not have lived together, but scattered in cells throughout the parish, which was extensive in the early days. Around 815 a Benedictine monk rebuilt the Ilm Monastery, which was endowed with lands in the region. The monastery was destroyed around 955 AD by the Hungarians. The inhabitants rebuilt the church of Saint Paul im Moos. The only remains of the monastery is the word "münster" in the village name. In 1030 Geisenfeld Abbey was founded nearby to replace the Ilm Monastey.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm