Bleckmar is a village administered by the Lower Saxon town of Bergen in the northern part of Celle district on the Lüneburg Heath in North Germany. It lies about 3 kilometres north of Bergen on the B 3 federal road and currently has 579 inhabitants. It is administratively responsible for the neighbouring hamlet of Dageförde.
Bleckmar was first mentioned in the records in 866 under the name of Blecmeri. This farming village originally grew from two farms, but by 1820 it had a population of 150. This number grew to over 300 inhabitants in 1900. In 1910 Bleckmar was given a railway halt on the Celle–Soltau railway which now ran through the village. Street names were not introduced in Bleckmar until 2001 after the majority of inhabitants voted in favour of them. The River Meiße, which flows in a north-south direction through Bleckmar, was dammed to form a pond here used to power a corn mill. The old mill building has now been restored and converted into a residential property.
Copyright: CC 3.0