Pöhla was a municipality lying in the valley of the river Pöhlwasser, in the district of Aue-Schwarzenberg in Saxony, Germany. Since 1 January 2008, it is part of the town Schwarzenberg.
The community of Pöhla only came into being in its current form in the mid 19th century. On 13 December 1855, the two current constituent communities of Großpöhla and Kleinpöhla were joined under the collective name of Pöhla. The name is of Slavic origin and comes from the word bjelo, meaning “light” or “white”, often used in placenames. The community’s namesake is the stream that flows through it, called the Pöhlwasser.
Copyright: CC 3.0