The formerly independent village of Wiegboldsbur in East Frisia in North Germany has been part of the municipality of Südbrookmerland since the regional reform of 1972. Wiegboldsbur is a ribbon development and lies on the Großes Meer about 10 km northwest of the sea port of Emden. The parish chair is Bernhard Behrends .
Wiegboldsbur is one of the oldest settlements in East Frisia. The name Wiboldesholte was mentioned in the abbey registers of Werden Abbey. Other old documents refer to the settlement as: Wilboldeswolde, Wibolduskeriken, Wibbodeshoff, Wiboldeshoff and Wibaldinga. The name Wibelsburen is also found on a church baptismal vessel dating to the year 1496.
Copyright: CC 3.0