Baumberg is part of the city of Monheim am Rhein in the district of Mettmann in North Rhine-Westphalia at the southern border of Düsseldorf, placed on the eastern bank of the river Rhine. Baumberg consists of an area of about 6 km², with about 13000 residents .
Baumberg was first recorded in 1296 as "Boimberg", a village part of the Earldom of Berg. The tower of the Catholic Church St Dionysius was built in the 12th century. Until the 20th century Baumberg was a rural village, inhabited by mainly fishermen, farmers and traditional craftsmen like basket-makers. At the end of the 19th century about 1000 people were living in Baumberg, at the end of World War II it were about 1,200 and 98 per cent of them were Catholics. In 1951 Baumberg became part of southern neighbouring Monheim. The federal social housing projects in the late 1960s boosted population from 5,000 residents in 1965 to 10,000 in 1969.
Copyright: CC 3.0