Dresden From the Right Bank of the Elbe Below the Augustus Bridge is an oil on canvas by the Italian urban landscape painter Bernardo Bellotto. Painted in 1748, it depicts the view of Dresden from the right bank of the River Elbe, including the Dresden Frauenkirche, the Dresden Cathedral, and the Augustus Bridge. One year earlier, he painted another piece titled Dresden From the Right Bank of the Elbe Above the Augustus Bridge, looking in the other direction from above the Augustus Bridge. Both of the paintings are in the permanent collection of the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister. The paintings have proved invaluable in rebuilding parts of the city that were destroyed during the World War II.
Between 1751 and 1753, Bellotto also executed smaller replicas of the two paintings. There are some other replicas from his own hand.
Copyright: CC 3.0