Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Number of texts: 1
Oflag VII-A Murnau was a German Army POW camp for Polish Army officers during World War II. It was located 2 km north of the Bavarian town of Murnau am Staffelsee.
The camp was created in September 1939. It consisted of an enclosure 200 m square, surrounded with barbed wire and guard towers. Immediately after the German invasion of Poland, at the beginning of World War II, some 1,000 Polish officers were imprisoned there. On April 27, 1942, additional Polish POWs were transferred there from the so-called “Generals’ Camp” Oflag VIII-E in Johannisbrunn, Sudetenland . After the failed Warsaw Uprising and “Operation Tempest” more prisoners were brought there from Poland. By early 1945 the number of POWs held in the camp reached over 5,000.