Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Karlsruhe
Number of texts: 1
The Max-Reger-Institute is a musicological research institute and archive in Karlsruhe, Germany, dedicated to the work of the composer Max Reger, a representative of German music around the turn of the 20th century. An associated foundation, the Elsa-Reger-Stiftung, is named after his wife, Elsa Reger, who founded the foundation and the institute. It has a substantial archive of manuscripts and documents related to Reger.
Reger’s widow and biographer, Elsa Reger, installed in 1947 a foundation, run by the Max-Reger-Institut in Bonn. A main objective was to collect the autographs which had been dispersed during two world wars, and to establish an archive as a base for research. The institute moved to Karlsruhe in 1996, first to the building of the Museum für Literatur am Oberrhein. The state Baden-Württemberg and the town Karlsruhe have funded the institute since. In 1998 it moved to the Karlsburg in Durlach. It collaborates with the Musikhochschule and with the Baden State Library.