Mentioned for the first time in 1203, it soon became an important trading place along the "Goldener Steig" , a salt-trading route between Bavaria and Bohemia in the late Middle Ages. In the 13th century the Bishop of Passau gave Waldkirchen the title of a "Markt" . After several raids by Bohemian soldiers during the 15th century the city built a "Ringmauer", a big stonewall, to surround it, which is still to be seen in many places of the city.
Belonging to the Bishop of Passau's territory for more than 600 years, the city became part of the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1806 and in 1871 of the German Empire.
Copyright: CC 3.0