Geusa is a village and a former municipality within the district Saalekreis, in the federal state of Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Since January 1, 2010, it is within the town limits of Merseburg.
The village of Geusa was mentioned as early as 880/890 in the Hersfeld Tithe Register as Husuwa, or Husiuwa. Additional nobility maps dating back to 1000 have the town marked as Geußau, Geißau, Geusau, and Geußen. It appears as Gusau in an August 9, 975 entry in the Pago Hassaga, a record of noble land holdings for the region during the reign of Otto II. The town appears as "Geuse" in Willem Blaeu's 1645 edition of Atlas Novus in the map of Mansfeld Land entitled Mansfeldia Commitatus.
Copyright: CC 3.0