Lichtenhain/Bergbahn is a former municipality in the district Saalfeld-Rudolstadt, in Thuringia, Germany. Since 1 December 2008, it is part of Oberweißbach.
Lichtenhain/Bergbahn was first mentioned in 1455 and is located on the ancient trade route from Erfurt to Nuremberg. It once belonged to the sovereignty of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, later to the Principality of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. In the Thirty Years' War the town was completely devastated. The main source of income of the residents was originally forestry, charcoal burning and resin extraction. Later the trading of nature medicines became a major economic driver. In 1812 Lichtenhain/Bergbahn counted 375 inhabitants which rose to 524 in 1902. In 1923, the Oberweißbacher mountain railway opened which connected Lichtenhain with national railway network. Major industries in modern times were the glass industry and the thermometer production, after the Second World War, increasingly tourism.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com