Church of San Martín

Historical event

ES |

Public

Source: Wizpr.guide

Copyright: All rights reserved

The construction of San Martin is a sober yet imposing Baroque church with a rectangular layout erected between the 17th and 18th century with buttresses and sacristy added. The walls are ashlar of a noble quality and the rectangular body façade in the form of a pediment rising up like a backdrop hiding the longitudinal structure of the body. The door of voussoirs forming a semicircular arch appears dated 1619 and has a beautiful niche housing an image of Pietà between two stone coats of arms, very worn due to erosion, which might belong to the house of Monterrei, a noble family which was very influential politically and socially in the region and medieval Ourense. This façade appears complemented by a bell gable with a rectangular body and two arches with semicircular imposts.
There is a second church in this parish next to that of San Martin dedicated to San Pedro as until the second half of the 20th century the town was divided between the diocese of Astorga and that of Ourense, giving rise to the erection of two parish churches. This fact maintained the primitive ecclesiastical division of the Suebi period called “Divisio Theodomiri”, which also reflected the Roman division of “Gallaecia” in three legal covenants, Bracarense, Lucense and Asturicense. Said divisory line passed through the centre of the town.

Copyright: All rights reserved

More information

Address

Spain

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com