Iglesia de San Lorenzo - Seville

Source: Willem, Vandenameele

The Church of San Lorenzo is a Gothic-Mudejar temple founded in the 13th century, but the oldest remains date from the 14th century.

It was renovated in the 18th and 19th centuries. Originally this church had three naves, which was common at that time. The works that the church has undergone have led to the enlargement of the side aisles to the current five.

The exterior of the church tells us about the historical process of the building, which mixes architectural elements of different styles. The tower, visible from any point, is Mudejar and has several bells added in the 18th century . The facade contains religious tiles with images related to the parish: Gran Poder, Cardenal Spínola, Las Ánimas and the Virgins of Dulce Nombre and Soledad.

The main altar , designed by Juan Martínez Montañés, is dedicated to Saint Lawrence and his life. It contains statues of the crucified Christ, the titular saint of the temple and angels, works by the brothers Felipe and Francisco Dionisio de Ribas and created in the 17th century. The presbytery has several oil paintings of great artistic value by Juan de Uceda and Francisco Pimentel.

The Brotherhood of the Dulce Nombre, popularly called La Bofetá , travels from San Lorenzo every Holy Week. The menacing paso de misterio and the beautiful canopy attract thousands of people to the square where the church stands, which fills up every Holy Tuesday to see Jesús ante Anás, by Castillo Lastrucci from 1923, and the Virgen del Dulce Nombre, also by Castillo Lastrucci but from 1923.

The Hermandad de la Soledad de San Lorenzo also has its canonical seat in this church. The Virgen de la Soledad is venerated in one of the chapels, where you can pray to an anonymous statue considered the oldest mournful virgin in Seville. The procession takes place on Holy Saturday.

Source

Comments Statistics

ES | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby