Parlamento Andaluz/Hospital de las Cinco Llagas - Seville

Source: Willem Vandenameele

Housed in the Hospital de las Cinco Llagas in Seville, the Parlamento de Andalucía is one of the most important political and historical buildings in the region.

The Hospital de las Cinco Llagas, also known as the Hospital de la Sangre , was founded in the 16th century . Construction began in 1546 under the orders of Catalina de Ribera, a noblewoman from Seville. The building originally served as a hospital and was one of the largest and most prestigious hospitals in Europe at the time.

The building was designed in the Renaissance style with some Gothic influences . It has an impressive facade and a symmetrical plan with several courtyards.

One of the most striking features is the church , which forms a central part of the complex. The church has a Baroque interior with richly decorated ceilings and altars.

In 1986 it was decided to restore the building and adapt it for use as the seat of the Parliament of Andalusia. The Parliament was officially inaugurated in 1992. The adaptation of the building for parliamentary use was carried out respecting its historical and architectural value, integrating modern facilities without disturbing the original structure.

The complex has several courtyards (patios), of which the Patio de las Doncellas and the Patio de los Evangelistas are the best known. These courtyards provide a peaceful and beautiful setting, with fountains and gardens. The gardens surrounding the building are well maintained and contribute to the serene atmosphere of parliament.

The Parlamento de Andalucía is open to the public and offers guided tours.

 

Source

Source: Willem Vandenameele - ChatGPT

Comments Statistics

ES | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby