Iglesia de la Virgen de la Paz - Seville

Source: Willem Vandenameele

The Monastery of Nuestra Señora de la Paz was a religious institution of Augustinian nuns founded in the 16th century .

It was segregated in 1837 and the church, which is the headquarters of the Hermandad de la Sagrada Mortaja (Confraternity of the Holy Death), is still preserved today.

Two gravestones of members of the founder's family have been preserved at the foot of the church. In 1810, the French demolished the monastery of the Encarnación, of Augustinian nuns, and the nuns of that community moved to the monastery of the Third Franciscans.

On May 7 , 1817, there was a storm and lightning that destroyed the bell tower and broke the cross. It is not known whether the damage was repaired before the exclaustration of May 11, 1837. The Monastery of La Paz became a tenement house, the church remained open for worship until its closure in 1868.

On July 18, 1936 , the church of Santa Marina, where the Hermandad de la Sagrada Mortaja was located, was set on fire by anticlerical groups and on November 10, the archdiocese authorized the transfer of this brotherhood to the church of the former Convento de la Paz.

Source

Source: Willem Vandenameele - Wikipedia

Comments Statistics

ES | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby