Convento de Santo Angel - Seville

Source: Willem Vandenameele

The Conventual Church of Santo Ángel was founded by San Juan de la Cruz in 1587 .

The temple was built at the beginning of the 17th century , between 1603 and 1608, according to the plans of Alonso de Vandelvira, involving the master builder Juan de Segarra and the architect Pedro Sánchez Falconete. It was blessed in 1608 by the Cardinal of Seville Don Fernando Niño de Guevara and has always belonged to the religious of the Carmelite Order.

The interior consists of three naves with short-armed transepts. The central nave is covered with a barrel vault, while the side naves are covered with a groin vault and decorated with plasterwork. In the center of the transept there is a large semicircular vault, the center of which is decorated with a large fleuron. Numerous decorative details in the vaults reveal Vandelvira's direct design.

The main altarpiece is a neoclassical work blessed in 1862. In the central part there is a large niche with a statue of the Virgen del Carmen with Child , the work of Cristóbal Ramos around 1770. Her devotion is so great that she was canonized on October 10, 2015 was declared.

It is also important to admire the Sagrario Chapel . This chapel was built by Aníbal González at the beginning of the 20th century. It has works by Francisco Antonio Gijón, Blas Molner, Pedro Duque Cornejo, Pedro Roldán, Benito de Hita y Castillo, or Juan de Astorga.

But if there is one statue that stands out in this church of Santo Ángel, it is undoubtedly the Cristo de los Desamparados , whose beautiful sculpture was made by Juan Martínez Montañés, dated 1617.

The monastery church of Santo Ángel houses an interesting museum of sacred art.

Source

Comments Statistics

ES | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby