Capilla de San José - Seville

Source: Willem Vandenameele

The chapel was originally part of a small hospital belonging to the carpenters' guild.

The chapel was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century and enlarged in the mid-18th century. On the outside it has two doorways, the door of the Gospel, crowned by the relief of the nuptials of the Virgin, and the door at the foot, enriched with tiles and statues in niches, surmounted by the figure of Saint Joseph, designed by Lucas Valdés in 1716.

On May 12, 1931, at 4 a.m., the chapel was attacked, looted and burned during the social uprisings following the proclamation of the Second Republic.

The opulent interior decoration is one of the most complex in the Sevillian Baroque. The main altarpiece, dedicated to Saint Joseph , was built between 1762 and 1766 and is the work of Cayetano de Acosta.

Source

Comments Statistics

ES | | Public | CatalanDutchFrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Didn't find what you were looking for?

Routes nearby