Lodève Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Fulcran de Lodève) is a church in Lodève, Hérault, southern France, a typical example of local Gothic architecture. Lodève is an ancient town of Celtic origin, situated at some distance from the Mediterranean coast, at the foot of the mountains of the Languedoc-Roussillon region, about 45 kilometres north-west of Montpellier. The former Diocese of Lodève, probably founded towards the end of the 4th century, was suppressed during the French Revolution, and was not restored; its territory was instead attached to the Diocese, later Archdiocese, of Montpellier. The See of Lodève was restored in 1877 in the person of the Bishop of Montpellier.
Copyright: CC 3.0