Places of Interest nearby
Location address: France, Haute-Normandie, Jumièges
Number of texts: 2
Jumièges Abbey was a Benedictine monastery, situated in the commune of Jumièges in the Seine-Maritime département, in Normandy, France.
The Abbey of Jumièges was used as scen for the movie The adventures of Arsène Lupin La Comtesse de Cagliostro.
The abbey was founded in 654 by Saint Philibert. Under the second abbot, Saint Achard, Jumièges prospered and soon numbered nearly a thousand monks. In the ninth century it was pillaged and burnt to the ground by the Normans, but was rebuilt on a grander scale by William Longespee, Duke of Normandy. A new church was consecrated in 1067 in the presence of William the Conqueror. Enjoying the patronage of the dukes of Normandy, the abbey became a great centre of religion and learning, its schools producing, amongst many other scholars, the national historian, William of Jumièges.
The French Revolution, however, ended its existence as a monastery, leaving only impressive ruins. These comprise the church, with its beautiful twin towers and western façade, and portions of the cloisters and library, the contents of which were removed to Rouen when the abbey was dissolved.