The Brest Prison was a 254m long prison in Brest, France. It was built between 1749 and 1751 by Antoine Choquet de Lindu, dominating the military port it was built to serve. It could house 3000 prisoners , children as young as 11 as well as older people. It was closed in 1858, and demolished in the late 1940s.
Its construction was launched after Louis XV of France, by an ordinance of 27 September 1748, transferred the galleys to the control of the French Navy, to allow him to provide crews for galleys cheaply. Galley prisoners were previously held on their galleys - now they would be housed in new prisons, such as that at Brest. On two levels divided into 4 large sections, the building could house 400-500 prisoners and was designed to house the police cheaply, prevent prisoners escaping and providing for prisoners' vital needs.
Copyright: CC 3.0