The château was built in 1846 by the architect Hippolyte Durand in Port-Marly, Yvelines, France. Dumas named it after one of his most successful novels: The Count of Monte Cristo (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, 1845–1846). Durand also built a writing studio on the grounds; Dumas named it Château d'If after another setting from his novels. In 1848, short of money, Dumas had to sell the property.
Copyright: CC 3.0