Pointe du Hoc is a promontory with a 100 ft cliff overlooking the English Channel on the coast of Normandy in northern France. During World War II it was the highest point between Utah Beach to the west and Omaha Beach to the east. The German army fortified the area with concrete casemates and gun pits. On D-Day the United States Army Ranger Assault Group assaulted and captured Pointe du Hoc after scaling the cliffs.
Pointe du Hoc lies 4 mi west of the center of Omaha Beach. As part of the Atlantic Wall fortifications, the prominent cliff top location was fortified by the Germans. The battery was initially built in 1943 to house six captured French First World War vintage GPF 155mm K418 guns positioned in open concrete gun pits. The battery was occupied by the 2nd Battery of Army Coastal Artillery Regiment 1260 . To defend the promontory from attack, elements of the 352nd Infantry Division were stationed at the battery.
Copyright: CC 3.0