Château de la Roche Courbon is a large château, developed from an earlier castle, in the Charente-Maritime département of France. It is in the commune of Saint-Porchaire between Saintes and Rochefort. Its name is just as frequently written Château de la Rochecourbon. The château is privately owned, and classified as an historic monument. The garden is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Notable Gardens of France.
A castle was built around 1475 by Jehan de Latour, on site which had been inhabited since prehistoric times. In the 17th century, the Courbon family, which had occupied the castle for two centuries, transformed it into a more comfortable residence. More alterations were made in the 18th century, but it was eventually sold in 1817 and then abandoned. It was purchased in 1920 by Paul Chénereau, who restored the château and its gardens. The château is still owned and inhabited by his descendants.
Copyright: CC 3.0