The Fort d'Aubervilliers is a former fortification of Paris built for 1842 to 1846 in Aubervilliers to control the "route de Flandre", now Route nationale 2, to the northeast of Paris. The Fort d'Aubervilliers is part of the first ring of Paris fortifications outside the old city walls built by Adolphe Thiers in the 1840s to defend the capital against invasion and to control the city's rebellions.
The Fort d'Aubervilliers formed part of a line of outlying forts surrounding the Thiers wall, which was begun as part of a program proposed in 1830 to fortify Paris. Property was acquired in 1841 and work began in 1842, with completion in 1846. The fort is pentagonal in shape with five bastions. Six casemates defend the main entry, with posterns on other faces. There are two sets of thirteen casemates on the side facing the front. Two original powder magazines were superseded by newer, better-protected magazines in 1874.
Copyright: CC 3.0