The École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre is an institution under the supervisory authority of the University of Strasbourg and the CNRS in charge of education, research, observation in Earth Science and its diffusion. Situated in two buildings located on the central campus of the University of Strasbourg, EOST consist of more than 150 permanent employees among its staff.
The School and Observatory for Earth Sciences was created by decree in 1997 from the fusion of the Geology and Earth Physics institutes of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Strasbourg. Interests in Earth Physics arose around 1880 in Germany with the birth of seismology and meteorology. The origin of the Geology Institute is even older and is linked to the French development of the University during the first half of the 19th century. After the annexation of Alsace by Germany, the Imperial University pursued a policy of elitism, basing its excellence on fundamental research as practiced at the University of Wilhelm von Humboldt . The same model was used when the French Grandes Ecoles were built. Since 1920, the IPGS and the IPGP conducted research and geophysical observations non-stop, without interruption during the War. Between 1939 and 1945, the IPGS was relocated in Clermont-Ferrand, were the Diplômes d'Ingénieurs were signed by Louis Cagnard, a famous French geophysicist.
Copyright: CC 3.0