| | Public
Hatfield Peverel Priory was a Benedictine priory in Essex, England, founded as a secular college before 1087 and converted into priory as a cell of St Albans by William Peverel ante 1100. It is in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England and is located on the south side of the village of Hatfield Peverel, about 5 miles north-east of Chelmsford. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, a timber frame structure dominated the property.
According to tradition the priory was founded by the Saxon Ingelrica, wife of Ranulph Peverel and reputed to be the mistress of William the Conqueror, to atone for her sins. The parish church, St Andrew's is the surviving fragment of the Norman priory church nave.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, United Kingdom
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com