The Old Bridge in Pontypridd is a stone construction across the River Taff built in 1756 by William Edwards. This was Edward's third attempt and at the time of construction was the longest single-span stone arch bridge in the world. Rising 35 feet (11 m) above the level of the river, the bridge forms a perfect segment of a circle, the chord of which is 140 feet (43 m). Notable features are the three holes of differing diameters through each end of the bridge, the purpose of which is to reduce weight. On completion, questions were soon raised as to the utility of the bridge, the steepness of the design making it difficult to get horses and carts across. As a result a new bridge, the Victoria Bridge paid for by public subscription, was built adjacent to the old one in 1857. Pontypridd was known as Newbridge from shortly after the construction of the Old Bridge until the 1860s.