The Wanlockhead beam engine is located close to the Wanlock Water below Church Street on the B797 in the village of Wanlockhead, Parish of Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The site is in the Lowther Hills above the Mennock Pass, a mile south of Leadhills in the Southern Uplands. This is the only remaining original water powered beam engine in the United Kingdom and still stands at its original location. It ceased working circa 1910 after installation circa 1870.
It is a Scheduled Industrial Monument , considered to be of national importance and the principles by which it functioned were originally derived from attempts at producing a perpetual motion machine.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com