The Moorbank Botanic Garden was a university botanical garden in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It occupied a 3-hectare site on Claremont Road to the west of the main Newcastle University campus, and was developed in the 1920s. Moorbank was leased from the Freemen of Newcastle until 2013, when the lease was not renewed and gardens were closed.
The first plants at Moorbank were grown in 1923. The area under cultivation was extended in 1980 using plants from the collection of Randle Cooke, a plant collector from Corbridge, who bequeathed his garden to the university. The glasshouse complex was erected in 1985 and holds collections of tropical and desert plants.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Newcastle Upon Tyne