Castle Donington Power Station was a coal-fired power station situated on the River Trent near Castle Donington, Leicestershire, 5 miles (8.0 km) south-east of Derby. Construction began in 1951, and the station opened in 1958. The station had six 100 megawatt turbo-generators manufactured by Metropolitan-Vickers and boilers by Babcock & Wilcox. It was initially operated by the Central Electricity Generating Board. Following privatisation in 1990, the station was operated by Powergen. In 1993, four of the station's generating units were decommissioned. In 1994, the remaining two units were taken out of operation and the station closed down.
Copyright: CC 3.0
North West Leicestershire