Fort Pitt was a fort built between 1805 and 1819 on the high ground of the boundary between Chatham and Rochester, Kent. It did not last long because it became a hospital for invalid soldiers in 1828, with an asylum added in 1849. Prompted by Florence Nightingale, the first Army Medical School was founded there in 1860, then to move to Netley in Hampshire in 1863. By the 1920s the hospital was closed and the site converted into a girls school, now known as Fort Pitt Grammar School. The University for the Creative Arts building also occupies part of the site of the original fort and some original brickwork remains visible at the side of the building.
Copyright: CC 3.0