Derby High School or "The Derby" as it is known locally, is a secondary school, located on Radcliffe Road, Bury, Greater Manchester, England. It opened in September 1959 as the Derby School, a new school that offered both a grammar and a technical education. Some of the pupils moved from Bury High School, on nearby Parliament Street, which closed when The Derby opened. They had gone there having passed the Eleven Plus examination. Other pupils came from secondary modern schools around the town. It was an early tentative step towards a comprehensive system and a more mixed curriculum than normally offered by the then prevalent grammar school and secondary school system. In September 1980 it became a comprehensive school and its sixth form was closed. There are extensive playing fields to the front of the school and the school is easily recognised with its distinctive tower.
Copyright: CC 3.0